[Xastir] dbfawk and tiled shape files

Mike Fenske mfenske at telus.net
Thu Apr 26 15:34:43 EDT 2007

Alex Carver wrote:
> I was trying to customize some of the dbfawk files the
> other day and was having difficulty figuring out why
> it didn't work.  On my setup, to speed up loading,
> I've broken up a lot of the shape files into tiled
> sections (I forgot the tool used but it was on the web
> page somewhere at one point).
>
> Anyway, if my understanding is correct, Xastir would
> need to see a dbfawk file with the same name as each
> of the tiles in order to parse the tiles with those
> rules?  Is there a default dbfawk file somewhere that
> it uses for any shape file?
>
> Right now, under /usr/local/share/xasitr/maps I have
> Counties/Tiles/ and then a bunch of files generated by
> breaking up c_16mr06.* into pieces
> (c_16mr06-2-1-0-3-1.* for example).

Hello Alex.

 You can get by with one dbfawk file if the dbf fields are the same for each shapefile and you want each shapefile displayed the same. Sounds like this is what you want. I have done just that here with a large shapefile I split up. Put the dbfawk file in the /usr/local/share/xastir/config directory. The name of the file doesn't really matter. Name it something so you can remember what shapefile set it's for. The important thing is that the "dbffields" list matches the dbf fields of the shapefile set.

I'm not sure, but I think you have to either restart Xastir or maybe "re-index all maps" to get it to recognize the new dbfawk file. Tom or Curt will know for sure :)

Hope this helps,

Mike Fenske
VE7MKF