[Xastir] Serial GPS support in Xastir built from Darwin Ports?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Apr 28 14:36:32 EDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 06:00:47PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <bernard.tyers at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>  Hi there,
>
>  I have built gpsd from Macports.
>
>  I added the GPS via the interface menu (choosing Serial GPS). The serial
>  port was /dev/tty.KeySerial1.

I can't help you with your mac-specific question, but you need to know that
gpsd is an *alternative* to using a serial gps connection to xastir, not
a requirement to use a GPS with xastir.

Serial GPS means xastir manages the serial port on which the GPS is connected
and gets its data directly from the GPS.  You need no software other than
xastir to use a serial gps.

If you want to use gpsd, you let gpsd manage the serial connection to the
GPS, and tell xastir it's a "networked GPS" --- you give xastir the
"port number" of the TCP port that gpsd listens on, and xastir gets its data
from the gps indirectly through the gpsd daemon.

In short, if you tell xastir you've got a serial gps, you don't want to have
GPSD running and using the same serial port.  If you want gpsd running, you
need to tell xastir you've got a networked gps, not a serial gps.

I'm sorry I can't help you diagnose your mac/keyspan serial port issues.