[Xastir] Re: [ubuntulinux] Re: Screen Resolution problem

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Wed Aug 1 10:10:31 EDT 2007

At 11:04 AM 7/31/2007, Jeremy Utley wrote:
><snip>
>Hey Earl -
>
>I don't think it's Ubuntu itself that's the buggy thing.  I seem to
>remember from your previous descriptions that you had a newer ATI card
>in your machine?  (Radeon 9600 if memory serves)  ATI's linux drivers
>are notoriously buggy drivers, and Xorg itself sometimes has problems
>with driving newer ATI cards due to lack of proper specs.

         This is a laptop, but the video shows up as "ATI RADEON
XPRESS 200M Series".

>Before totally giving up and wiping out ubuntu, I would probably try
>one thing - see if you can get a very simplistic setup going with your
>video card.  Open up whatever your current X config file is in an
>editor, find the "Driver" line (probably says ati or radeon or fglrx)
>and change that to the "vesa" driver.  Then drop down to your "Modes"
>line where it specifies what resolutions you want to use - remove
>anything higher than "1024x768" - you very well might get some stable
>performance this way, but without 3d acceleration - and for running
>xastir, that's not really needed anyway.

         Thanks, Jeremy, I've done similar multiple times.  Something
is changing the xorg.conf and I don't know what it is.  I've used
Firefox, Thunderbird, and Xastir on the installation, and not much
else, although occasionally I'll use Adept or Synaptic to update
various parts of the system.  The real problem is that, this last
time, the screen is so messed up that I can't see what I'm doing to
fix anything.  Of course, this is all in the GUI, in case I wasn't
clear.  Also, I've been dual-booting, not using VMWare, as I've read some do.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk