[Xastir] Re: [ubuntulinux] Re: Screen Resolution problem

Tate Belden kc7zru at kc7zru.net
Wed Aug 1 21:28:22 EDT 2007

Earl Needham wrote:
         I got Fedora downloaded last night, and burned to CD this
> morning.  Got a quick question -- does it support dual-booting?  I took
> a quick look, but then aborted when it seemed hell-bent on installing on
> the whole partition!
>
>         7 3
>         Earl

Oh yea - it sure will. I've got 3 dual boot systems (XP/F7) running now.

The trick is to install Windows first, then Fedora. Fedora's installer -
anaconda - is smart enough to recognize there's an existing OS on the
drive and not kill it - s'long as you've choosen to install Fedora into
free space! MS' products aren't quite so tolerant. Their bootloader will
wipe out whatever is already on the drive (such as lilo or grub) and
install it's own bootloader. Leaving your *nix systems out in the breeze.

Now, since each OS will want it's own partition space, you have to plan
ahead and leave enough of the drive un-partitioned when you install
Windows or use some tool to re-size the NTFS partition to make free
space for Fedora. I use the gparted live CD - works great! The
systemrescue_cd has qt_parted and if you've a copy, Partition Magic does
well too. I Just did an HP nx7400 laptop today. (120GB drive, 20 for
Windows, the rest for Fedora).

Anaconda will install grub (the boot loader) to the drive's MBR for you.
All you have to do later on is go back and edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and
change the label form 'other' to "Windows". Eh, you could leave it as
'other' - it'll work. Just isn't as helpful.

73