[Xastir] Questions about Xastir running under VMplayer

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 20:24:25 EDT 2007

On 8/2/07, Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu> wrote:

> On On Aug 2, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Jim Tolbert wrote:
>

> > _*The downside is that VMplayer only allows for one serial port.*_
>
> This is wrong.  I've used two, one for the radio and one for the GPS.
>
> The xastir vm may only have one serial port _configured_ out of the
> box (er, zip file?), but it's certainly capable of more.
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

If using VMware Player, you'll have to edit the ".vmx" file with a text
editor.  The vmx file will be in the "My Virtual Machines" directory or
wherever the virtual machines are stored.

The lines for the first serial port should look like the three below:

#serial0.present = "TRUE"
#serial0.fileName = "Auto detect"
#serial0.autodetect = "TRUE"

You can add another port as follows:

#serial1.present = "TRUE"
#serial1.fileName = "Auto detect"
#serial1.autodetect = "TRUE"

It is also possible to force each of them to a specific COM port, but I am
traveling and I don't have all of my "ammunition" with me.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX