[Xastir] Making better looking maps

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Aug 10 07:11:49 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:56 AM, Bernard Michael Tyers wrote:

> Can I ask how you created/plotted the grey dotted rectangular box on
> the map? I am guessing its the search area of that particular
> aircraft?

That is the position ambiguity for that APRS station, which is in
fact an aircraft.  For whatever reason this person chose to transmit
only about 3 or 4 digits of position data which leaves a pretty large
area of uncertainty.  This box with a dotted outline is xastir's way
of telling you "it's somewhere inside this box".  IIRC, "station ->
filter display -> display position ambiguity" controls the display of
this box.

-Jason
kg4wsv