[Xastir] Garmin Rino being dropped?

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Fri Aug 10 10:42:34 EDT 2007

Hi, all...........

I just received an e-mail from a supplier about the Garmin Rino. Has
anyone else heard this info... any confirmation?

    I have just received an email from one of the general wholesale
    distributors
    who now offer Garmin products.  The email indicates the RINO models are
    being dropped.  I do not know what this means at this time.

    At this time the Garmin company ( a public traded corp.) has chosen
    to drop
    offering their products through full support dealerships and now are
    simply
    flooding wholesale marking companies with old outdated products.

    I am currently at the OUTDOORS SUMMER trade show in Salt lake City Utah,
    where new technologies are being announced.

    I highly suggest waiting a week for further feedback and availability.

    A new development in the GPS technology is the newly formed Magellan
    company; now a privately held company.

    Bushnell is offering the most advanced GPS technology for 2008.  I
    highly
    recommend waiting for this new development.

What is the status of the new generation of trackers ( Tracker2, I
think?).  As I understand, the innovation is that they are digipeaters
as well.  Correct?

For SAR GPS tracking, on each field searcher, we would still need a
radio, a tracker, and a mapping GPS.  Is that correct?  Or can a GPS
receiver like the Deluo be used in place of the "mapping GPS"?
Is there any company that anyone knows of that is working on a unit with
the radio/gps/tracker that will work on the APRS network -- aka, a Rino
for Ham?

Many thanx............... jt

--
Jim Tolbert