[Xastir] Hop number in Xastir

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 22 21:06:27 EDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Bernard Tyers <bernard.tyers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, PHG circles - these are not valid for an APRS-IS connected
> station, right? What should be displayed? Nothing I presume. It
> should be shown by the symbol you choose?

PHG can be valid for a station connected to the APRS-IS if they are
also on RF. PHG describes an RF station coverage area.

> Finally, (sorry lots of questions) - is it "better" for the APRS
> network to have more stations connected via APRS-IS than via RF? I
> guess its better to have more of the same stations connected than
> lots of different (mobile, stationary, etc...).

Define better. If you are out mobile in an RF only environment with
everyone else on the APRS-IS only, how much information do you get?

APRS is designed as a local information delivery system. As an APRS
user, you should get information about your local area delivered to
you on your display.

Having local information available only on the internet doesn't do
much for an RF only user.

Define your idea of better, and then you can qualify your answer.

APRS was conceived and designed by Bob Bruninga as an amateur radio
information service. Steve Dimse added the internet connectivity
portion, and changed the face of APRS forever.

I lean towards the radio side of APRS, but rely heavily on the
internet side for observation.

If I had to only choose one side, the RF side would win.

James
VE6SRV