[Xastir] Making better looking maps

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Aug 25 07:53:03 EDT 2007

Yes.  O'Reilley's Google Map Hacks is a good place to start.

For our purposes, I don't think this is an issue but positional accuracy
may be an issue using Google data since they don't verify that, but use
data they obtain/purchase as-is, with the caveat that the user is
responsible for such things.  When I consider this, it makes sense.
It's a big enough task for someone or some organization to undertake for
a local region.  It's a completely different order of magnitude for a
global scale, and using satellite and aircraft-derived imagery,
especially if you don't have access to the nadir-offset information.

I'm being reminded of these issues as I just finished an NSF proposal
looking at satellite calibration/validation ("Cal/Val") and off-axis
nadir pointing is a big factor in cal/val and operational use.

gerry