[Xastir] Xastir and serial port issues

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Mon Dec 3 14:43:45 EST 2007

After a disk crash in a laptop, I replaced the hard disk, reloaded open
SUSE 10.2, rebuilt Xastir with all the options ( including GPSMAN), and
reloaded all the maps..  I connected a KAM TNC to the serial port and
selected Serial  TNC in the interface control.  I have tried a variety
of TNC port identifiers ( /dev/ttyS0, COM1, etc.) and tried
"tnc-startup.kam" as well as "tnc-startup.sys".  Checking the Incoming
data window when I turn the KAM on and off yields nothing.   I also
tried using a USB to serial converter with the same null result.

When I connect the laptop to the internet, I can see and plot aprs stations.

Tomorrow, I will have access to a set of Garmin Rinos for the
afternoon.  I have 22 hours to get this going <grin>.

Is it immediately obvious where my error is?  Is there a way to confirm
that the serial port is functional?  Is there anything special about
connecting a Rino to the laptop that would increase the likelihood of
the system work?    Any other suggestions?

One of the other guys has the other laptop that is running Xastir ( from
a binary download running on VMWare).  Unfortunately, it was not
compiled with GPSMAN so the Rino options are not available.

Many thanks ............. jt

--
Jim Tolbert
RiverRidge Consulting, LLC