[Xastir] configure problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Dec 6 18:14:36 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 05:00:55PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
> I thought I would go back to installing xastir with a tar ball...don't know
> if I am comfortable with debian binaries in kbuntu.  Anyway when I ran
> configure I got something I haven't seen before and this is it:
> checking for C compiler default output file name....configure: error: C
> compiler cannot
> create executables
> What is that all about.

Maybe you don't have a C compiler set up, or there are libraries missing that
cause the C compiler to puke on the test program that configure produces.

Did you go through all the steps in the wiki page HowTo:Ubuntu 7.04?  One of
the first steps is:
  sudo  apt-get install build-essential

which should make sure you've got everything needed to get past that line of
configure.  There are lots of other steps.

If that's not the issue, you can look in the file "configure.log" that is
produced as a by-product of running configure.  In there you'll find the
actual error message given by the C compiler that caused configure to conclude
that the C compiler can't produce executables.