[Xastir] Running Xastir on Apple OSX

Bob Nielsen n7xy at clearwire.net
Fri Dec 7 14:49:35 EST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Stephen - K1LNX wrote:
>
>> I'll check that out as well. I hope to be happy with the Mac
>> platform, I
>> still (and will continue) to run Linux on my desktops and servers,
>> but I've
>> always wanted a Macbook and finally broke down and bought one. I
>> know there
>> is this love/hate relationship with it, but hey it's still not
>> Micro$oft!!!!!!
>
> It's true-blue Unix under the hood now.  Any OSX box is just Unix
> with a pretty graphical user interface laid on top of it.  It's much
> closer to Linux than you might think...
>
> You should be very happy with it.

I compiled the latest Xastir on OS X 10.4.11 recently with no
problems, and hopefully 10.5 (Leopard) will work similarly.  You need
to install some of the X stuff which comes on the DVD but is not
installed by default.  I also got a lot of Unix stuff from
macports.org, like ImageMagick.  There is a lot of software on
macports but the installation involves compiling from source
(automated), like Gentoo Linux, so have patience!

73, Bob N7XY