[Xastir] X Printing Extension

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jan 24 16:55:31 EST 2007

For a number of years (at least dating back to the first version on SourceForge)
xastir's configure.ac has probed for XpGetDocumentData in the Xp library.

As far as I can tell, Xastir does not use the Xp library --- there are no calls
anywhere to the X Printing Extension library, and xastir compiles and
links just fine without it.

I bring this up because a user edited my HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10 documentation
to say that libxp-dev was required --- this, despite the fact that I had
tested, double checked, and triple checked the instructions in that page
and confirmed that following every line of its recommendations (which did
not install libxp-dev) resulted in a working version of xastir.

So this afternoon I removed the probe for the Xp library from configure.ac.

If you have any trouble building xastir now that it doesn't link in libXp,
please let me know.  If xastir *does* require this library, it would be because
some other library needs it indirectly --- but since all of my Ubuntu 6.10
builds work just fine without it, I'm pretty sure that this inclusion was just
a relic of an early version of the configure script, not an actual dependency.