[Xastir] Need info

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 25 10:46:48 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Erik Jakobsen wrote:

> I have made the .cvsrc in my /home/user directory. I made it as root. Is
> that ok ?.

Change owner/group on that file to the regular user credentials.
That way you can change the contents of the file later without
having to be root.

> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir login
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir co -r STABLE xastir
>
> It installed xastir. Should it be done as root ?.

No, you did fine.  All you're doing there is (first line) adding an
entry to your ~/.cvspass file, and (second line) snagging the
sources to some build directory of your choice.  All would normally
be done as a regular (non-root) user.

> cd xastir
>    cvs update
>    ./bootstrap.sh
>    ./configure
>    (make clean;make -j3 2>&1) | tee make.log
> -->> Until here I think it should be done as user  ????
>    sudo make install
>    sudo chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir (only needed if using kernel AX.25)
>    xastir

You're correct about everything before the "sudo" commands being run
as a regular user.  The "sudo" command allows you to run those two
commands as the root user without having to actually do an "su"
manually, but of course you have to have sudo installed and set up
the "/etc/sudoers" file before this will work for you.

Of course it's probably easier if you have "sudo" set up to just do
this instead:

    cd xastir
    ./update-xastir
    sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir (if you need suid root
        privilege to access AX.25 interfaces)

Below is the manual procedure corresponding to the multiple commands
you listed, for those that haven't set up "sudo" on their systems:

    cd xastir
    cvs update
    ./bootstrap.sh
    ./configure
    (make clean;make -j3 2>&1) | tee make.log
    su
    make install
    chmod 4755
    exit (from root