Fwd: Re: [Xastir] Xastir responding to ?APRSS

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 2 13:04:41 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 09:49:14AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kf4lvz at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> Forwarded as per Tom's suggestion (originally part of
> a long string of emails)

As a summary of the missing bits of the conversation:

- Some APRS clients will pop up an incoming message box when a message is
  received addressed to an object owned by that station.
- This behavior was counted on by Bob Bruninga when he advocated setting up
  "XXX-n" objects for Field Day "blind contacts" on APRS
- Xastir doesn't do this.  The decode_message function checks only if the
  message is addressed to our own callsign-ssid or base call sign (no SSID).
- Right now, to check an object for ownership, you have to call
  is_my_object_item  with a DataRow pointer, not a call sign.  We have
  a function "is_my_call" that takes a call sign and checks if it's ours,
  but no similar function to check if a named object is ours.

Since objects receiving messages (but not sending or ACKing them) is apparently
consistent with the spec, perhaps we should make it work.  Especially since
not supporting that capability would have made Xastir one of the clients
that couldn't have played along with the Field Day plans hashed out on
APRSSIG.

The original string of emails with Alex was about a slightly different use for
this feature, but it's the same deal.  You can't send messages to objects
that Xastir owns and expect the user to see them.