[Xastir] Re: tested CVS....oops.....

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 2 19:13:53 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 04:02:16PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> xastir: index.c:157: RTreeInsertRect: Assertion `r->boundary[i] <= r->boundary[3+i]' failed.
>

> The window came up with the usual screen buffer garbage for about 2 seconds, then disappeared with the above fault coming up.

BTW, I should have figured that this wouldn't work.  The GRASS folks made a
tweak of the original superliminal.com rtree stuff -- they changed all the
rectangle datastructures to use doubles instead of floats.  I chose not to do
that in Xastir because it doubled the size of the data structures, and
they get pretty big pretty fast.  GRASS doesn't keep them around except
during operations like "d.what.vect" (querying vector data by mouse clicking),
but xastir keeps them around for a lot longer.  The memory usage was
significant during my initial testing, so I chose to leave them as floats
the way the original author had them.

This is almost certainly why this assertion is failing.  We're using our
own header files for the Rtree data structures, and they're defining the
structures differently than GRASS's library is using them.