[Xastir] Xastir.desktop, anyone?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:25:02 EDT 2007

On 7/2/07, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Corby Krick wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if the Xastir CVS install has a Xastir.desktop file, I
> > can't seem to find it. Am I missing something? Maybe we could put in
> > a .desktop file and it'll go into HamRadioMenus?
>
> So...  Which operating system are you talking about, and which
> window manager?  Do other window managers also use a *.desktop file?
> I'm not familiar with it.
>
> FWIW I'm using OpenSuSE-10.0 and the FVWM2 window manager.  I don't
> generally start Xastir from menus anyway, preferring to start it
> from an Xterm or an Rxvt so that I can see any error messages
> generated.

The .desktop files appear to be a KDE thing - the equivalent to a desktop
shortcut in Windows.  In Kubuntu, all you have to do is right click anywhere
on the desktop, select "create new", then "link to application".  I made one
for XASTIR a couple of weeks ago - even found a nice big "X" icon for it
somewhere when I was looking around.  It's there more or less to look cool,
though, 'cause I also prefer to launch XASTIR via the command line.  It's
easy to create your own file - the "command" in the properties for the file
is /usr/local/bin/xastir if you installed from source.  I can't speak for
your distribution, but if you installed a binary (i.e. from a repository) in
Kubuntu, then the command is /usr/bin/xastir.  (just remembered you
mentioned CVS, but I'll leave the part about the binary in the message in
case it's useful to anyone on the list.)

Regards,
Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX