[Xastir] Xastir's in ADEPT

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Jul 4 00:47:34 EDT 2007

Lee Bengston wrote:

>> Gee, I just found Xastir listed in the Adept package manager.  I could
>> have installed with Adept and not worried about compiling and
>> everything else!
>

> Yes, but you would be stuck on XASTIR 1.84 (assuming you are on
> Kubuntu 7.04). If you are using Kubuntu 6.10, then Adept would install
> version 1.82, and if you are on 6.06, Adept would install XASTIR 1.71!
>
> Remember the mod below from Curt that addresses the radar maps
> displaying black?  If you compiled from CVS, you can get that change
> now in your system.  That problem would still exist in the old binary
> versions.  There are definitely advantages to compiling!

Another reason for compiling deals with the locations of libax25,
ax25-tools and ax25-apps which are installed in the new locations under
/usr/local if they are compiled, rather than sourced from deb packages.

The deb package for xastir also needs the libax25 deb package and it
will install to the old location under /usr

This is not a problem if the deb package of xastir is all you need but
if your machine multitasks and you need the new locations for something
else (fpac, xfbb) it's a real pain.

Ray vk2tv