[Xastir] Playing sounds

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:46:57 EDT 2007

> esdplay interacts with the esd daemon that should already be running
> on your system and allows multiple programs to access the sound system at
once.

You need only have a program that can play audio files, and tell xastir what
> that program is.  I recommend esdplay, which is in the esd-clients (or
> some similarly named) package.  It might even be installed already on your
> Kubuntu system.  You need not compile anything new into xastir for
> regular audio alarms, only for speech synthesis.

esdplay is probably a better choice (than the mpg123 player that I mentioned
last night) due to the interaction with the esd daemon that lets multiple
programs simultaneously access the sound system.  I couldn't find the esd
stuff last night, but I realize now that esdplay it is part of
esound-clients.  esound-clients is not installed in Kubuntu on my box, but
Adept finds it easily or sudo apt-get install esound-clients should work.

I'm not changing mine - the mgp123 player works, and I turned the alarms
off, anyway - too annoying!    :-)

Regards,

Lee-K5DAT
Murphy, TX