[Xastir] educate the un-informed

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 11 13:31:57 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, KC7ZRU - Tate wrote:

> The white boxes seen when zoomed in tight are "error" boxes then?

No, those are the (and I have to think very hard here to make sure I
get this right each time) precision boxes.  They show the precision
that the transmitted APRS format is capable of.  For instance,
around here Kenwoods show a 40' x 60' box, 'cuz the Mic-E format is
only capable of relaying that much precision to the end user.

When somebody decides to put blanks into some of the least
significant digits of lat/long, they're further diluting the
precision that is transmitted, and we show that as the ambiguity
boxes.  Pretty much the same thing.