[Xastir] Re: Serial Port (ttyS0) problem

Tate Belden kc7zru at kc7zru.net
Tue Jul 17 00:22:26 EDT 2007

Rodney Baker wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:30:04 xastir-request at xastir.org wrote:
>> Or you can get *REALLY* barbaric and manually edit /etc/group
>>
>> Search for the uucp line - add your username to the list.
>>
>> Originally, it looks like:
>> uucp:x:14:uucp
>>
>> Make it look like:
>> uucp:x:14:uucp,name
>> Where 'name' is your username.
>
> Not such a good idea - then Fedora complains that /etc/group and /etc/gshadow
> don't match which can totally stuff things up. The same thing happens if you
> manually edit /etc/passwd - the password file and the shadow password file
> get out of sync which can cause authentication problems.
>
> When using shadow passwords and groups it is always much safer to use the
> tools provided that keep things properly in sync.
>
> I know - I found out the hard way (by manually editing /etc/group...<grin>).

Interesting as I've manually added users to the Wheel group on each of
my dozen or so Fedora boxen and have never had a problem with it. In
fact, looking now at /etc/gshadow, I see the changes I manually made
have been included there too! I know I didn't do it.

But, I do agree on the passwords an problems with manually editing
/etc/passwd. All I've ever done there is disable users by changing their
shell to /bin/nologin. Works great!