[Xastir] Success with shapefiles!!!

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Thu Jul 19 10:19:08 EDT 2007

I received the shapefiles ( from ESRI) from the local County Surveyor's
office yesterday and Xastir read them right in!!  It is beautiful.

The map tech thought that all the colors, symbols, and road names were
included in the files.  When I loaded them in, the only filled layer was
the lakes and the fill was fushia.  All the roads were black.  All the
building locations were red Xs.  No road names were visible at any zoom
level.

For each category of object ( lakes, roads, buildings, driveways), she
gave me four files (.dbf, .prj, .shp, and .shx).  I opened the roads
.dbf file in a spreadsheet and the road labels are there.

The map tech said that on her system, the lakes were blue, each type of
road was a different color ( 5 types of roads), the building locations
were round dots, and each road, lake, & river was labeled.  It appears
that all the options in the map chooser properties and map configure are
"on".

Does anyone know, can I change colors and symbols and show labels now,
or is this something that the map tech has to do before she dumps we a
copy of the maps?  If it is something she should do, does anyone have a
suggestion as to what to tell her to change from what she did the first
time?

Many thanx...............  jt

Jim Tolbert

715-866-4398 home office