[Xastir] Radio frequency question from a simpleton

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 19 15:47:23 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Jason Winningham wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 2:20 PM, James Ewen wrote:
>
> > Plus APRS is available for no fee to the amateur radio community, but
> > you need to talk to Bob Bruninga about licensing it for commercial
> > use.
>
> I thought that was for the application APRS-DOS, not the protocol
> itself?

That's my take on it too Jason.

> If that gets to be a problem, switch to the OpenTrac protocol.

Which is only available on OpenTracker 1's, not on the 1+ or the
Tracker2 yet I don't believe.  You can't buy opentracker-1's
anymore.

Xastir supports both protocols, but is receive-only for OpenTrac
protocol (we can't transmit it yet).  Xastir is under the GPL
license and so requires no fee, whatever frequency you use it on.

Tom had it right on as far as the commercial licenses.  I'm in SAR
and have investigated this myself for my county.  We cannot
currently use APRS on our SAR frequencies.  We'd have to ammend our
licenses.