[Xastir] Have lost the Online maps.... and a couple of other Q's

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 24 18:22:38 EDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> Since I have loaded shapefile maps on my laptop (which I can see), I
> have been unable to get the online (terraserver) maps to show no matter
> what I have tried in the map chooser, map properties, map flushing or
> map reindexing.   I obviously don't know what I am doing....  just
> trying things.  Any suggestions?

Turn off all maps except the terraserver and they should show again.
You can overlay vector maps on top of them if you like, as long as
they aren't filled polygons.  If they're filled polygons then
they'll obstruct the raster image underneath.

> Is it true that Xastir does not have to communicate with tracking units
> in the field and therefore, only a receiver is needed at the laptop with
> the TNC (not a full radio)?

Xastir only needs to transmit if you want to see the location of the
Xastir station, if you're doing messaging between Xastir and the
field units, or if you're using Xastir as an igate to/from RF so
that messaging can occur between the field units and somebody
"somewhere else".  Yea, a receiver should work fine.  Even a
scanner.

> Also, can anyone give me the e-mail address of the guy that is the head
> of the Xastir/Garmin RINO effort?

That was Wes Johnston I believe?  I think it was Wes that described
what he needed, and I was the one that coded it up.  It wasn't
enough for him and he coded up something else yet that he actually
uses, which I think connects to one of Xastir's server ports.

If he doesn't respond directly, I'll try to find his address.