[Xastir] Radar Overlay Question

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Sun Jul 29 14:26:42 EDT 2007

On 29 Jul 2007, at 15:21, Gerry Creager wrote:

> You have a little homework.  You'll have to snag it using a
> correctly built .geofile. The image alone is here:http://www.met.ie/
> weathermaps/latest_radar.gif
>
> You then have to get the coordinates of the image corners and try
> to determine if it's projected in a polar stereographic form, as so
> many of my colleagues like to make the result more correct for
> viewing.  I've not done the math on the rotation parameters to make
> that work.  I suspect it'll be an html get in the .geo.

doh! I thought I looked for the url and didn't see it.  I contacted
Met Eireann previously and I just checked and they hadn't got back to
me, so Now I've got back to them with those two questions.   I might
also ask about a severe weather warning/flood warning feed as well,
it would be nice to get our own weather alerts working.  I must read
up on the wxsrv protocol a bit more.

> <topic status=change subject='OSGB data'>
> On another note, there's work afoot to make Ordinance Survey data
> free for Amateur Radio and public service applications, or, if the
> solicitors keep getting in the way, at least to make the geodata
> inexpensive.  They already have a service for cellphones that's
> about 5 pound GB per year (don't know if that's going directly to
> OS or the cellular carrier) and hoping that, for things like APRS
> (which the head of OS hadn't heard of but found very interesting)
> the data can be available this calendar year.
Is that in the UK or Ireland?  I know the Mountain Rescue folks are
working hard on the maps (In both the UK and Ireland) at the moment
as they have recently begun using (in the last 12-18 months), Simoco
radio's that have an attached GPS microphone, that squirts out the
position when PTT is released, or when the radio is polled. I'll be
bringing one (Maybe) to the GAREC conference in Huntsville in August.

<offtopic>
We've been working with one of the MR teams here in EI land
developing an application to aid in the ICP and only recently managed
to figure out the SIMOCO protocol, but now we 'think' we have a
better library than their own windows DLL.. its definitely more
stable.  We had looked at using xastir as the client at the time, but
the Developer reckoned it was easier to develop a new application
that used the Irish Grid system as the 'display'.  2 months left and
we're only now getting to the stuff useful for SAR though :(

> <status=change subject='Open Geospatial Consortium musings'>
> See?  Letting me get out of town to the Open Geospatial Consortium
> meetings is useful to the hobby, too!  On another note, I'm trying
> to hack together an Open Geospatial Consortium Open Location Server
> using APRS-IS data.  Seems OGC OLS folks never thought of the
> potential for using any medium besides cellphones.
>
> OGC demonstrations already use APRS-IS data to demonstrate the
> Sensor Observation Service, both for vehicle tracking and snagging
> the weather data out and using it as sensor streams.  Interesting
> stuff.  Because it's REST- and XML-based, it's not nearly as
> compact as APRS, but useful in the paradigm of the XML revolution
> that's been sweeping the net...
>
> </topic>

Ummm... ok... you've now completely lost me.. but it sounds good..

Regards
de John
EI7IG

--