[Xastir] An Xastir story

Bernard Michael Tyers bernard.tyers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:10:10 EDT 2007

On 06/06/07, John Ronan <jronan at tssg.org> wrote:

> > Nice story. any photos? I always like to see photos of the
> > tool/hardware in operation.
>
> > I was involved with a hillwalking festival at the weekend in Ireland,
> > which was tracking walkers, some being licensed operators.
> >
> Many thanks for coming down to help Bernard, always appreciated.

You're welcome John. I really enjoyed it. Like we said above, its
great when you can actually put your hobby to good use.
I'll be looking for another one soon.

> I'm still shattered after the weekend and I wasn't even walking.
> I have some pictures of various parts of the weekend available here.
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jpronans/2007GalteeWalkingFestival

Stomping bugs and second guessing yourself will do that!

> We had two Mobile OT2 Digipeaters (EI8EPB-2 and EI3RCW-1), 5 portable
> trackers (two stopped working)
>

> We were also using this weekend to 'test' some software we are
> developing with the South East Mountain Rescue Association, its is
> only 'pre-alpha' (and it showed at various times) but they were quite
> happy and asked us back for another trial later in the year.  They
> are only just getting used to the system themselves (Simoco SRP9130
> Radio's with GPS Microphone). We had 7 SEMRA Radio's out at various
> stages... two of them seemed to be programmed incorrectly and two had
> duff batteries.  They appear as numbers in xastir's map (we were
> making them appear as APRS stations as well).

This is the interesting part - that APRS can be applied to a serious
area like SAR comms, and I am sure at a fraction of the cost too.

Lets see how the beta version pans out.

> All in all APRS and xastir made the weekend safer for everyone.

Definately.

Well done John on carrying it off so successfully.

thanks
bernard
EI8FDB