[Xastir] New FC7 install troubles with both Release and Stable CVS

Stephen Peters scpeters at mac.com
Sun Jun 10 17:25:28 EDT 2007

Hi Tate and Curt,

I have Xastir working without rtree currently.  It does fine except
it does take a little while on some redraws.

I tried updating to the developer's codebase to see if it was
something unusual in the intermediate releases.  I also deleted the
files in the rtree directory and having cvs replace them.  Alas,
nothing has quite worked to fix the rtree problem.  I could try
wiping the whole Xastir src directory and updating that.  It
shouldn't work, but who knows?

I've also re-ran the Fedora system updater to see if anything obvious
was old or out of date.

Now I did install Shapelib, but it is also included in the Xastir
install now?  Could that be a problem - i.e. should I try removing
Shapelib?

Two other things I've noticed on unrelated topics:
1) There's a ton of .geo radar files out there that simply don't work
because they point to a nonexistent web location at NOAA/NWS.  I
guess NOAA updated their system a while ago (I've been out of aprs
for a couple of years.)  I was able to relocate the correct file and
fix the geo file for my area.  The Xastir wiki and readme.maps still
points to these download locations with the outdated .geo's.

2) My day job involves working with GIS, so I was using ArcGIS to
export a geotiff.  I am using PAMAP data, which is beautiful
georeferenced RGB color tif files with 1-2 foot resolution.  I sure
would like one in color, but ArcGIS can only export 24 Bit True
color, 8 Bit Palette, or 8 Bit grayscale.  Xastir can't interpret the
24 bit color, and the 8 bit palette must create a custom CLUT that
Xastir doesn't interpret.  In 8 bit palette mode, the data exists,
comes through georeferenced perfectly, as I can see the patterns, but
the colors are seemingly randomly chosen and assigned.

Thanks again guys for making this great software!  It really is awesome!

-Steve