[Xastir] Seg faults

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 12 12:48:58 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 07:30:23AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > If it didn't drop core (i.e. because ulimit -c isn't "unlimited"), you might
> > want  to run xastir in the debugger to catch the real problem.  Again,
> > look in README.Contributing for hints.
>
> You can also run it with debugging messages turned on, which may or
> may not help you track down where the problem is.
>
>     (xastir -v 4095 2>&1) | tee debug.log

IMHO, the debugging output is almost useless for most segfault hunting,
as it's generally been the case that the debugging output that's there was
put there to find bugs in code that's already been fixed.  New segfaults
have almost invariably required either debugger work or new debugging
printfs.  Using that output will probably result in more red herrings than
real clues.

I have not had time to make my F7 virtual machine --- too many other projects,
and an ELT hunt last night that ate into the time I would have had.  I'll
try to get it set up this week and see if I can reproduce any of these problems
folks are seeing.