[Xastir] KPC-9612+

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 12 12:58:34 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 07:27:50AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Lee Bengston wrote:
>
> > Curiously, based on the  Xastir/Linux settings, I was expecting  the  Linux
> > port to map to COM1 in Windows, but it's actually using COM2.  It's probably
> > something simple like VMware thinks COM1 is already in use for some reason.

It could be the case that VMware thinks that the modem is COM1 or something
bizarre like that, so it assigns /dev/ttyS0 on the linux side to COM2 on the
Losedows side.  You can set vmware up to use specific ports in the virtual
machine, but if you let it autodetect sometimes it finds strange things.
it will try to attach unused serial ports to the VM, but it doesn't always use
the first one it finds.

For example, on my one windows machine COM2 is in use by the UPS, but the VM
doesn't autodetect that COM1 is free --- it complains that it can't find a
free one because it starts looking after the highest-numbered port that's in
use or something.  Forcing it to use specific ports instead of autodetecting is
the only way around that (instructions in the HowTo:VMware page on the Xastir
wiki under "Troubleshooting").