[Xastir] Fetching a trail

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Jun 17 22:47:26 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 08:38:50PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <needhame1 at plateautel.net> flavor, containing:
> On Sunday 17 June 2007 20:20:12 James Ewen wrote:
> <snip>
> > KD5XB-11 shows a trail when I download the last 120 hours, just pulled
> > it in on Xastir.
> >
> 	With my Xastir call set to KD5XB-11, I click on "fetch..." and fill in the
> data for KD5XB-11, for the last 120 hours.  After several seconds' delay, the
> window comes up telling me the track has been received, and then, right next
> to the icon already on my map, I see MANY MPH readings flashing by.  No trail
> on the map, just all the MPH readings going by.
>
> 	When I set the Xastir call to KD5XB, and follow the same procedure, I see the
> icon for KD5XB-11 moving over the map - starting on I-20, coming into the map
> from the east, across to US84 at Sweetwater, Tx, up to Clovis using US84,
> etc, and all the while leaving a nice trail on the map.
>
> 	Changing the Xastir call back to KD5XB-11, the trail remains, even through
> zooming the map in and out.  In fact, if I zoom out to the 512-mile range, I
> can see my trail all the way back over to Shreveport, La.
>
> 	Maybe the "configuration position" overrides the position from the Findu
> trail?

This is very puzzling.  Do you have your station type set to "fixed station"
in the File->Configure->Defaults box while you're doing this downloading?
I don't see why that would matter, but perhaps it does.

Also, you could try firing up xastir with debug level 257 (station and trail
display detailed debugging + general basic debugging) and capture the output to
a file:

   xastir -v 257 > xastir.out 2>&1

in a terminal window, and watch what it says it's doing while it decodes
the findu trail.