[Xastir] Weather maps are now black

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 20 11:36:40 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 07:05:06AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > Hmmm...  We _could_ change that by adding a fixed length table or a
> > linked list of transparent values found in the .geo.  This would
> > slow down the rendering code a bit if there were several values
> > listed, but it doesn't sound terribly difficult to add this feature.
> > This could also allow some neat stuff like removing removing water,
> > railroads, green areas, etc. from other maps.
> >
> > If implementing this I'd probably recommend a linked list so that
> > the number of transparent values possible wasn't fixed.
>
> map_geo.c:
>
>     unsigned long trans_color
>
>     draw_WMS_map(w,
>             filenm,
>             destination_pixmap,
>             fileimg,
>             do_check_trans,
>             trans_color,
>             nocache);
>
>     int check_trans (XColor c, unsigned long c_trans_color);
>
> We'd want to change "trans_color" to an array or linked list, change
> the section where we look for "TRANSPARENT" so that it adds to the
> list instead of working on "trans_color" each time, then change
> check_trans() to pass it the list of transparent colors so that it
> can check each pixel against the entire list.  Change draw_WMS_map()
> to work against the entire list as well if we want to be complete.

Yeah, I figured that out, but never bothered.  The real issue to be fixed is
with Gerry's server, which should be using a consistent value for the
transparent background --- that value is even specified in the WMS URL,
but is clearly not being done right.

I agree that this could be a useful feature for other purposes, though.