[Xastir] APRS packet building

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 22 17:43:27 EDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Corby Krick wrote:

> I'm looking into making a script that'll send out objects once again,
> using xastir_udp_client. I understand the login sequence, but what I
> don't understand is what the APRS packet should look like. I'll need
> the name, coordinates, icon, and comments, but I don't know how to
> build the packet. Can anyone give me any insight?

Here's an example from one of my test scripts.  I'm going to break
it up a bit at points where spaces don't matter, so that the places
where spaces _do_ matter will come out right:

xastir_udp_client \
    localhost 2023 \
    K0SKW 15513 \
    -to_rf \
    -to_inet \
    "K0SKW>APRS:;tempy    *271046z4800.00N/12200.00W[ 1"

As far as what to put in the last string, you'll need to get _real_
familiar with the APRS spec and the first APRS spec addendum (which
has been ratified by the working group).  The second spec addendum
has not been ratified at this point.

The above example packet creates an object named "tempy".

You'll also need to turn on Xastir's server port before you can
inject UDP objects:  Interface->Enable Server Ports