[Xastir] Maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jun 25 17:57:13 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 07:47:23AM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> flavor, containing:
>  Curt, WE7U wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Ray Wells wrote:
> >

> >> I've just recompiled gdal to include ecw support but I can't figure out
> >> how ecw format maps invoked in xastir?

>  Thanks Curt,
>
>  I wasn't aware that not all of GDAL was supported.
>
>  Looks like I'll stick to converting from ecw to jpg, which is no great
>  drama, the jpg's are working fine. Just thought I could avoid a step in the
>  process.

You miught have better luck, though, converting ecw to geotiff.  Geotiffs
are properly georeferenced by xastir (approximately) and jpg+.geo file is
only correct for rasters in lat/lon coordinates.

You can do this with gdal_translate.

If your images aren't in lat/lon coordinates ("equidistant cylindrical
projection") and you want xastir to georeference the file perfectly, use
gdalwarp instead, and use a "-t_srs EPSG:4236" option when converting to
geotiff.

If your ECW images are 24-bit color, you'll also have to convert to 8-bit
for geotiff (because nobody's written the 24-bit geotiff code yet). That
can be done with rgb2pct.py (also from gdal).