[Xastir] Xastir on rugged/small devices- Nokia N800

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 26 11:04:08 EDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Bernard Michael Tyers wrote:

> On 21/06/07, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:
>

> > Now...  This is not to say that Xastir couldn't be made to run on
> > such devices.  You'd have to compile OpenMotif or Lesstif and get
> > one installed on the device, or modify the Xastir GUI to use GTk+
> > (for the Nokia N800) or Qt (several other devices including the
> > Sharp Zaurus) in order to port Xastir to them.
>

> ok curt. it was just a off_the_cuff_question really.
>
> I might have a look at what would be required..

I once mistakenly made the offer to someone inquiring about a Zaurus
PDA that if they bought me one I'd be inclined to port to it.  It
was a nice device but the amount of time that would be required
would be excessive.  I retracted my offer once I figured out the
price/effort ratio (someone was interested in taking me up on the
offer too!).

The N800 is in a similar price range to what the Zaurus was back
then, and I really like it, but I'm trying real hard not to make the
same mistake.  If I had some free time and was looking for something
to do I'd probably go for it, but I haven't been in that boat for
years.  Besides that, I already have a palmOne Treo 650 in my hands
that I could write for, and a small Fluke Networks touch-screen
device that runs Qtopia (Qt-based, but no X11) that I could play
with as well.