[Xastir] Newbee question re: Garmin Rino / Cygwin / Xastir and SAR

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Tue Jun 26 14:05:27 EDT 2007

Thank you very much for the note!  It is very helpful.

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:
>

>>  From a laptop at a ground search incident command, I would like to
>> track, and plot the tracks of, up to 20 GPS units on ground searchers.
>> It seems from what I have read that the Garmin Rino units with Xastir &
>> GPSman will do this.
>>
>> I have downloaded Cygwin & Xastir and can successfully run Xastir on my
>> Windows XP laptop.  I am NOT a programmer and have done this only by
>> following a recipe in the help files.
>>

> I wouldn't suggest running Xastir under Cygwin for SAR purposes.
> I'd suggest either switching to Linux as the base OS (highest
> reliability), or else go with VMWare Player running Linux/Xastir
> inside it.  I'm not sure whether the GPSMan stuff will work under
> either system though.  I've only used GPSMan under Linux.

I have a 3 year old laptop (Windows XP) that I could dedicate to this.  I have to wipe the disk anyway.  What Linux do I want? Do I reformat the disk before installing Linux?  What do I do about various device drivers?

>>     * There are not many funds and I think I can have but one trip to
>>       the well.  What all should be considered? Must have, should have,
>>       nice to have, Lexus version.
>>

> For stuff that's in current production and would do what you need,
> go for Kenwood TH-D7A(G) handhelds and attach a mapping GPS.  They
> won't do digipeating but they'll give you the most capability
> otherwise.  Once the Tracker2's are in production I'd go that way
> due to the digipeating and capability to create objects on the GPS,
> but that'll complicate the wiring as you now have three devices
> (including a 2-meter radio), another cable, and a battery to
> integrate in.  I don't think I'd go the RINO route.  With APRS (as
> opposed to RINO) you'll need at least once ham radio licensee in
> order to maintain the control function, but you _don't_ need a ham
> radio guy to carry the setup.

Another stupid question,......  What does the automatic polling of the
field GPS units  -- Xastir or the "Digipeater" (I obviously don't know
what this is <grin>)?

Many thanks ..........  Jim TOlbert

RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net