[Xastir] Newbee question re: Garmin Rino / Cygwin / Xastir and SAR

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jun 26 15:47:31 EDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:

> But that developer (me) wouldn't recommend FreeBSD for anyone other than
> hardcore Unix geeks.  It's better for server systems than desktops (in my
> current opinion after over 15 years of using it), and not well suited for
> a first non-windows system.

I've used SLS, Slackware, Redhat (before Fedora existed),
SuSE/OpenSuSE, and RHEL.  Of those few I'd probably only recommend
SuSE/OpenSuSE.

> I recommend one of the Ubuntu systems for sheer ease of install and use,
> especially for folks new to Linux.  It is a solid desktop (or laptop)
> environment with good support.

I haven't used Ubuntu or Kubuntu, but Ubuntu is what Dell is now
offering as an option to Windows, which means it must be pretty
good.  Kubuntu is Ubuntu but with the KDE desktop instead of Gnome.
Both are based off of the Debian Linux distribution.