[Xastir] More system questions

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 17:17:06 EDT 2007

Jim Tolbert wrote:
> You guys have been a fantastic help!   And best of all, I have not
> been flamed yet for stupid questions!!!
The only stupid question(s) are those that go un-asked!!! Glad you are
here. What ever the guru's like Kurt, Tom and Jerry share with you will
benefit all of us.

> As a base, I am in the process of downloading OpenSUSE Linux and will
> then download Xastir for Linux.
>
> The following Tom's suggestion that Xastir can see and record a
> combination of things, beg borrow steal (or worst case buy <grin>)
> units to try to see what works best. Someone noted that use of the
> radio / GPS units depended on the local APRS infrastructure and how
> it's loaded and if there is access to digipeaters.
>
> How do I determine:
>
>    *
>
>      local APRS infrastructure
>    *
>
>      how the local APRS infrastructure is loaded
>    *
>
>      if there is access to digipeaters.
>
> As usual, MANY THANX!!................. jt

If you have access to a TNC, a radio and PC, you could monitor the
packets for a while. You also could get Xastir up and running on a PC,
and set up the software switches to only monitor RF traffic. Look on the
screen as Xastir prints out the location of each station heard. You can
then look to see if any of them are digi's.

Steve/WM5Z