[Xastir] More system questions

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 28 12:02:39 EDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Richard Polivka, N6NKO wrote:

> ANTENNA. You gain on  both ends, RX and TX. Probably the best way to do
> an antenna is to use a long rubber ducky antenna and use the metal frame
> of a backpack as the ground plane.  Plus, it is easier to carry day
> supplies and the metal frame is far easier on the back than a softshell
> pack.

Another possibility is to use very springy steel wire (probably
stainless steel?) with a loop at the very end or a plastic bead
melted onto it for eye protection.  I'd probably go for a 1/2 wave
dipole configuration, so you'd have about 19" up from the pack, then
another 19" down through or alongside the pack, from the antenna
connector.  That'll work much better than any rubber duck I've ever
seen.  If you insist on a duck, go for the longest one you can find
and then drop a 19" counterpoise down from the antenna connector as
well to get a better pattern.

> If you are going to go the radio/tnc route, I would set up the units to
> also be digipeaters as well. This would give the low level signals a
> better chance to propagate. I do not know if the D7A will digi as well,
> so I would look into it.

Nope.  D7A(G) won't digi.