[Xastir] More system questions

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Thu Jun 28 16:20:11 EDT 2007

For a portable digipeater .....

*) Steel ammo-can.
$20 at Sportsmans Guide
*) Large gell-cell.
$190 for 55AH Optima Deep Cycle Marine
*) Mobile antenna mounted to the lid, perhaps a 1/2 wave antenna so
   that it doesn't require a ground plane.
$45
*) 2-meter handheld radio.
$130
*) Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC, set up to digipeat.
$180
*) Perhaps a chain to lock it to a tree in case a stray hiker finds
   it during the mission.
Free!! (my garage supply house)

System about $515

Since the battery is 55 AH and the Kantronics list a 30ma draw that equals a long time , Right?

Given this.....  what does this do for you?   Where would you want it in relationship to the radios in the field?

Thanks again ........ jt