[Xastir] CoverSplit symbol issue with rtree in Fedora 7 ... may have found the bug

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jun 29 11:46:28 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 08:15:18AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > You should never need to edit the configure file.  You can disable rtree
> > with the "--without-rtree".  Editing out the link should cause problems,
> > because WITH_RTREE would still be defined.
> >
> > I still don't understand the reported link failure when rtree is enabled
> > on this (and only this) system.
>
> We need the exact error message.  Maybe we have that in an earlier
> e-mail though.

It was in several older emails in the last month or so.

It's:

> /usr/bin/ld: rtree/librtree.a(split_l.o)(.text+0x27f): unresolvable R_386_32 r
elocation against symbol `CoverSplit'
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So far the only folks who have reported this are those who are running Fedora 7,
and not all of them, either.

I have not had time to build a VMware virtual machine with Fedora in it, even
though I've downloaded the install DVD.  Once I get a chance I'll try to
follow the F7 directions on the wiki to see if I can reproduce the failure
and track it down.  None of my systems get this error during link.

It doesn't seem to be a compiler version issue, either, as the gcc version
reporded by the original reporter was gcc 4.1.1. (Barrie McConnell, back in
April).  And looking back over emails that was on FC6, not F7.  I know
that several people here have built on FC6, so there is something very
fishy going on, as this is not universal.

On another note, Fedora is completely dropping OpenMotif because its license
is considered incompatible with Fedora's, so Fedora users will
no longer have access so some of the dialog box tricks that Xastir plays.