[Xastir] CoverSplit symbol issue with rtree in Fedora 7 ... may have found the bug

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Jun 29 12:02:23 EDT 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > On another note, Fedora is completely dropping OpenMotif because its license
> > is considered incompatible with Fedora's, so Fedora users will
> > no longer have access so some of the dialog box tricks that Xastir plays.
>
> Just to be clear, it's not a trick.  Standard Motif programming
> techniques.  You're allowed to change a dialog that's currently
> displayed and it is supposed to recompute all the widget geometries
> and redisplay the appropriate thing.  Motif does it properly,
> Lesstif does not.

BTW:  I'm pissed off at Lesstif in this case, not Tom.  I really
appreciate all he does (in his limited time) for the project.

Then again, I'm really not pissed off at Lesstif either:  They're
doing a clean-room rewrite of Motif, which is a lot of code, and
they don't have _all_ of the features of Motif yet.  What they do
have of course has some bugs in it.  They haven't had as many years
to work on it as Motif, and certainly not the funding or the
programmers thrown at it that Motif did.

So we work with what we have.