[Xastir] Portable Digipeater Antenna?

Steve Friis wm5z at comcast.net
Sat Jun 30 19:34:25 EDT 2007

Jim Tolbert wrote:
> When considering adding a portable digipeater to a kit, what does an
> antenna mast buy you and what is the relationship between height and
> effectiveness?
> What is antenna height & specifications and equipment specifications
> that should be considered for a permanent antenna, centrally located
> in the county?
>
> We are in Burnett County, Wisconsin ..... according to the U.S. Census
> Bureau, the county has a total area of 2,280 km² (880 mi²). 2,128 km²
> (822 mi²) of it is land and 152 km² (59 mi²) of it (6.69%) is water.
> There are small elevation changes in the county (800 feet to 1440 feet
> above mean sea level) and the land is largely forested.
>
> Many thanx ............. jt

My experience shows that doubling the height is equal to multiplying the
power by 4. This is especially true if you can get above the tree-tops.
Here in the desert, you can really increase the range by adding height.
I bring a 25' pole to mount both the HF antenna on plus the dual band
VHF/UHF antenna.

Steve/WM5Z