[Xastir] Xastir is not reading APRS reports from my Kenwood TH-D7(g)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Mar 2 00:22:28 EST 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 09:15:22PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <snakyjake2 at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Problem:
> Xastir is not reading APRS reports from my Kenwood TH-D7(g).
>
> Information:
> Dell Latitude CPt
> Xastir v1.8.2
> Kubuntu 6.10
> COM1 enabled in BIOS
> Kenwood on "Device 0 UP Serial TNC /dev/ttyS0".
> Using Xastir defaults.
> dmesg reports: serial8250 ttys0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq=4) 16550A
> Kenwood has the TNC turned on and I can see the APRS objects on the Kenwood
> screen.
>
> Any ideas of how I can make this work or troubleshoot?

Did you use the "tnc-startup.thd7" startup script and "tnc-stop.thd7" stop
script when you defined the interface?

If you can see the APRS objects on the kenwood screen, then xastir hasn't
put it in PKT mode --- you can't use xastir with the D7 in APRS mode, it
has to be in PKT mode.  Putting the two correct scripts in the properties
dialog for the interface should make xastir get the d7 in the right mode on
startup, and put it back in standalone APRS mode when it shuts down.