[Xastir] GNIS files

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Mar 26 20:54:22 EDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:41:24PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <r.polivka at sbcglobal.net> flavor, containing:
> If you need to dig into the .dbf file to get the headers, there are some
> programs out there that can do it. OpenOffice Calc can parse the .dbf
> file and show the metadata headers so the .dbfawk file can be written.

GNIS files are not shapefiles, they're just plain text with one line per
feature.

Yes, xastir uses the population size to select zoom levels for populated
places.

I, too, noticed that the GNIS file format changed (for the worse) some time
ago when I tried to download the one for Alaska a few months ago.  But that's
all I noticed, since I didn't really need it and hadn't the time to figure it
all out.

AFAICT, there is no place to get the GNIS files in the old format with that
field available, and there is no comparable field that can be used to select
populated places by population --- we'd just have to display them all at all
zoom levels, and this would require a code change in xastir to support
the new format (without breaking old format, because if we do that then
we'd all be forced to download the newer, less functional data).