[Xastir] TIGER/Line files --- End of an Era

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Mar 27 08:07:02 EDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 6:33 AM, Troy M. Campbell wrote:

> When I get time to learn more about shapefiles.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think in the contrib directory there
are some tools to build shapefiles for you.  shapefile is a binary
format, so it would be something like "use perl to feed the shapefile
builder executable" instead of using perl to build the file
directly.  At least, that's what seems easiest to me.

Along these same lines, a while back I tried to use the cities
shapefile from nationalatlas.gov, but many of the places didn't have
a population listed, which made it impossible to filter.  I just
checked for a new release, but no such luck.

-Jason
kg4wsv