[Xastir] TIGER/Line files --- End of an Era

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 27 10:19:59 EDT 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Jason Winningham wrote:

> I'm certainly no expert, but I think in the contrib directory there
> are some tools to build shapefiles for you.  shapefile is a binary
> format, so it would be something like "use perl to feed the shapefile
> builder executable" instead of using perl to build the file
> directly.  At least, that's what seems easiest to me.

There's also a Python script, reworked by Tom a bit, which creates
Xastir-usable polygon shapefiles from Tiger/Line data:
"xastir/scripts/Xastir_tigerpoly.py"

The original script came from the GDAL/OGR project.

"ogr2ogr" should be able to do more normal conversions for you
between vector formats supported by OGR.  It comes with GDAL/OGR.