[Xastir] CAD object transmissions?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 16 18:50:14 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 03:38:03PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 16 May 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Aren't multipoint objects already in the standard?
>
> Kind'a sort'a.  I think Bob B. mentions the protocol in one of his
> addendums.
>

> > Or at rather, aren't
> > the multipoint objects supported by more than just Xastir?
>
> Yes.  For weather uses only at present, but no real reason why that
> can't change.

They're only *used* for weather now, but the support doesn't require that,
does it?

> > Turning a cad object into the necessary string for multipoint objects
> > and stuffing it into an object's data shouldn't be *that* hard.  Just need
> > someone with the time to do the coding (i.e. someone other than me).
> > Then again, I am not sure if the multipoint protocol allows enough vertices
> > with enough precision to do all that CAD objects can do.
>
> I think that's the main problem, sending enough vertice information
> along with the rest of the attributes across to the remote station
> in a manner such that the remote station has an exact copy of the
> info.  Since we're calculating area enclosed and such, it'd be nice
> if the representation of the object at the remote end was identical
> to the original and not just a look-alike.

Make two objects at the centroid of the area: one with the attributes in the
status text, the other with the multiline data in the status text.  Wouldn't
require a spec change, and would display on any client that parses multiline
objects.