[Xastir] Xastir on a handheld

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu May 24 18:17:22 EDT 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Carl Makin wrote:

> On 25/05/2007, at 5:53 AM, William McKeehan wrote:
>
> > There are some hand held devices (such as a Palm) that can run some
> > flavor of
> > Linux, right?
> >
> > Are there any that are big enough to compile and run Xastir on?
> >
> > Anyone tried it? Anyone have a recommendation for which hand held
> > device to
> > investigate for this purpose?
>
> Anyone tried it on the Nokia N800 Tablet?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800

Ones that come to mind:

  Sharp Zaurus (runs Linux, but with Qt instead of Motif, no X11)
  Nokia N800 (runs Linux, but with GTk instead of Motif)
  Palm Treo Smartphone (runs PalmOS, but can boot Linux too)

Xastir requires X11 and Motif as it is currently written.

I happen to have a Treo 650.  I wouldn't mind figuring out how to
get Linux booted on there and then see if I could get Xastir running
on it, but that would depend on having X11 and Motif already
available for it.  One would need to either cross-compile everything
on another Linux box or have a native compiler on the Treo.

I believe it has a 320x320 color display.  It has a full keyboard,
touchscreen, bluetooth, IrDA, USB, cellphone, etc.  It also has a
card slot.  As I understand it, Linux can be run from memory and it
only touches the card slot and the peripherals, so PalmOS and all of
its apps would remain relatively safe.

It's nice to think about anyway.  Wish I had more time to play with
such things.