[Xastir] no maps

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun May 27 12:54:15 EDT 2007

Hello,

I just installed the Xastir 1.84 (package from repository) on Ubuntu 7.04,
and I cannot get the online maps to draw.  A couple of weeks ago, I
installed the Xastir 1.71 package on Ubuntu 6.06, and the online maps worked
great.  I don't see any error messages when I either launch Xastir or tell
it to download maps.  Below is the text displayed when I first launch
Xastir.  I had the festival error with 1.71 as well, but it didn't seem to
affect the maps.  I am fairly new to both Linux and Xastir, so I'm thinking
I am missing something simple.

Built-in map types:
      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
       map   APRSdos Maps
       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick library, many formats allowed)
       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps
*** Reading WX Alert log files
*** Done with WX Alert log files