[Xastir] Window version

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 00:31:22 EDT 2007

AndLinux requires Windows 2000 (or newer).  I believe the default config for
andLinux is to use 128MB of RAM, but it can be edited to use 64MB.  That
implies it could be installed on a PC that has only 128MB of RAM.  I have
Xastir running under Windows using andLinux and VMware, and it definitely
runs faster under andLinux. AndLinux installation itself is also very fast.
 One disadvantage of andLinux is that it is based on Ubuntu 6.10, which is
now two releases behind.  With VMware one can install almost any Linux
distribution and version.  AndLInux being based on Edgy/6.10 doesn't matter
if Xastir is installed from source, however, as Xastir 1.91 from CVS
compiles just fine.
VMware is nice - it has worked very well for me, but it does require a fair
amount of memory, and I have found that particularly VMware server runs slow
if the host processor is not a relatively modern one.  Using VMware also
takes significant time to set up - either the time to download a large
pre-made virtual appliance of Linux, or create your own, which is a full
Linux installation under VMware.

Lee Bengston
K5DAT- Murphy, TX